Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shoal Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Shoal Creek Rd. east of Bentwood Ln, Arab, AL
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 19.577    W 086° 27.031
  34.32628333    -86.45051666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJFWV
 



Text:

The church was founded on March 14, 1886 by charter members R.J. Riddle, Julie Riddle, W.J. Wright, A. M. Preston, W.B. Scott and F.E. Scott. It is named after Shoal Creek, which rises up less than a mile from the church grounds and empties into the Tennessee River near Paint Rock Bluff. Before the original building was erected in 1887, services were held under a brush arbor. The present sanctuary was built in 1956, the education building in 1979, and the fellowship hall in 1993. Shoal Creek's first pastor was P.M. Thompson. Montgomery K. Taylor, another of the church's early pastors, served here for thirty years. He also served as the first pastor of Arab First Baptist during his term at Shoal Creek. As he had requested during his tenure, he was laid to rest behind the church in the grave plot closest to the pulpit.







End of Shoal Creek Baptist Church