Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Salvation Army in Mobile



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Mobile
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

At the corner of Conception & St. Francis Streets, Captain Edward Justus Parker, Staff-Captain Charles Miles & a Salvation Army lieutenant conducted an open air meeting on the night of their arrival in march 1887. In contrast to earlier Salvation Army openings in other cities, the Mobile audience was polite. Men removed their hats as prayer was offered & those in attendance respectfully participated in the singing and dropped coins into the collection plate.

Mobile became an official Salvation Army Corps on October 13, 1899, with Captain & Mrs. James T. Cumbie in command. The Army’s first Corps Community Center in Mobile was located at 213 Conti Street where it remained from the late 1930s until the late 1960s.

The Salvation Army’s fight against human suffering--started in 1865 in London by General William Booth--is still helping people to help themselves, though its methods have changed with the times.

Dedicated June 14, 1987 by Commissioner James Osborne, Commander of the Army’s Southern Territory.

Erected 1987 by the Salvation Army







End of The Salvation Army in Mobile