Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bayou La Batre



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 13790 S Wintzell Ave., Bayou La Batre, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 24.261    W 088° 14.876
  30.40435    -88.24793333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Originally called "Rivere D'Erbane," the bayou acquired present name from French-maintained battery of artillery on West Bank for defense. First permanent settlement on south Mobile County mainland. Founded 1786 when Joseph Bouzage (Bosarge), 1733-1795, moved into the area and was awarded a 1259 acre Spanish land grant on West Bank.

Born Poitiers, France, Bouzage came to Gulf Coast ca. 1760. Married Catherine Louise Boudreau 5 June, 1762. Father of seven children including one son, Jean Baptiste.

City of Bayou La Batre incorporated 1955.







End of Bayou La Batre