Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ellicott's Stone / Erected April 9th, 1799



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on U.S. 43 at milepost 19, 0.1 miles south of Lofton Rd, Axis, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 59.779    W 088° 1.509
  30.99631666    -88.02515
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Ellicott's Stone
Erected April 9th, 1799



Marks 1st Southern Boundary of the United States and the Mississippi Territory created in 1798

-----900 feet East-----


Stone marked 31° North Latitude separating the U.S. & Spanish Florida.


This line of demarcation ran from the Mississippi east, along the 31° parallel to the Chattahoochie River, thence down that river to the mouth of the Flint River, thence on a line to the headwaters of the St. Mary’s River, thence down that river to the Atlantic Ocean.


Major Andrew Ellicott, appointed by George Washington as U.S. Commissioner to survey the boundary as defined in the Treaty of San Lorenzo (1795), was engaged in this expedition from 1796-1800. Esteban Minor was appointed Commissioner on the Spanish side.


Erected 1999 by Alabama Society of Professional Land Surveyors & Alabama Historical Association.







End of Ellicott's Stone / Erected April 9th, 1799