Historic Markers Across Alabama



Emerson Institute



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Scott St., Mobile
County: Mobile
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this site stood Emerson Institute, Mobile's first school for the formal education of African-Americans in Alabama. Founded 1865 by the Freedmen's Bureau, the school was run by the American Missionary Association from 1866 until 1927 when it became a Mobile County public school. First located in the "Blue College" on Government Street, the school moved in 1877 here to 266 Scott Street after a disastrous fire. Many of its students had careers of local and national distinction. Emerson closed in 1970 and its buildings were demolished as part of the city's plan for urban renewal.







End of Emerson Institute