Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mt. Vernon Federal Highway



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Old Military Rd at the railroad crossing, Mt Vernon, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 31° 05.132    W 088° 00.995
  31.08553333    -88.01658333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJMN2
 



Text:

Side 1:
1811, the Mount Vernon Cantonment was laid out by Col. Thomas H. Cushing.
The cantonment was about three miles west of the Mobile River. The location was on a hill where a spring was. It was called Mount Vernon Springs. In 1814, the garrison at Mt. Vernon was visited by Andrew Jackson the 7th President.

1818, the Old federal Road was being constructed from Milledgeville, Georgia to Fort Stoddert, Alabama.

Side 2:
1828 president Andrew Jackson authorized by an act of congress for Mt. Vernon to become a Military arsenal. By 1830 the construction of a wall ten feet high and two feet thick began to encompass the arsenal. In 1861 Captain Jesse Reno surrendered Mt. Vernon arsenal to four confederate companies from Mobile 1866 Mt Vernon arsenal was returned to the federal government. 1870 Mt. Vernon post ceased to be an arsenal. 1873, William Belknap, Sec. of War recommended property to become Mt. Vernon Barracks. 1887, 450 apaches came to Mt. Vernon from Fort Pickens Florida. Among them were Indian Chiefs Geronimo, Chihuahua, and Natchez (Son of Cochise). In 1895 Mt. Vernon barracks was given to the State of Alabama.








End of Mt. Vernon Federal Highway