Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bayou La Batre, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on South Wintzell Avenue (Alabama Route 188) near Tapia Avenue, Bayou La Batre, Alaba
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 24.261    W 088° 14.876
  30.40435    -88.24793333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The stream near the site, known as Bayou la Batre, was known during the period of French occupation as "Riviere d'Erbane," then as "Rivere la batterie" because of the French artillery battery located on it's banks. The towns name consists of bayou, the Gallicized form of "bok" the Choctaw word for "creek," and "la batre," derived from "la batterie." Clarence Mallet, who was born in St. Martinville, Louisiana moved to Bayou La Batre in 1925. Mallet brought with him a strong belief that God's blessings are essential to a good harvest from the sea. With this in mind, he convinced Father Alex O'Neil to hold the first Blessing of the Fleet. This was in 1949. This old world custom is a public acknowledgment of God as his blessings are asked for a bountiful harvest and the safety of the men that go to sea. The tradition that Mallet brought to the Mobile County Community has continued over the years.

Erected 2010 by The Alabama tourism Department and the City of Bayou La Batre.







End of Bayou La Batre, Alabama