Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Mobile Bar Association - Alabama's First Bar Association



Marker ID:  
Location: on Government Street east of South Conception Street, Mobile, Alabama
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 41.384    W 088° 2.5
  30.68973333    -88.04166666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On March 29, 1869, 32 attorneys organized the Mobile Bar Association, the first bar association in Alabama and the 14th oldest bar association in the entire nation. They filed the Association's Declaration of Incorporation on April 12, 1869, having contributed $5,000.00 in capital, and established a law library in the City of Mobile.


Original Members:

P. Hamilton • Thos. A. Hamilton • Henry St. Paul • Thos. N. Macartney • H. Austill • Robt. H. Smith • Wm. G. Jones • Thos. H. Price • Thomas E. Herndon • D.C. Anderson • M.E. Macartney • Hugh L. Cole • E.S. Dargan • D.P. Bestor • L. Gibbons • A.R. Manning • George A. Stewart • W.C. Easton • G.Y. Overall • R. Inge Smith • Percy Walker • J. Little Smith • M.B. Jones • A.M. Granger • Jno A. Tompkins • W. Boyles • G. Horton • A.E. Buck • James Bond • Harry T. Toulmin • James Gillette • C.F. Moulton


Dedicated in commemoration of the 130th anniversary of the founding this 15th day of April, 1999


Erected 1999 by Alabama State Bar.







End of The Mobile Bar Association - Alabama's First Bar Association