Historic Markers Across Alabama



Officer’s Row



Marker ID:  
Location: on Fort Morgan Road (State Road 180) 1.7 miles west of Dune Drive, Shores, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 13.863    W 088° 1.123
  30.23105    -88.01871666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

As the U.S. Army modernized at the turn of the 20th century, so too did its military posts. In the stratified society of this period, separate and distinct areas for the various classes of individuals were developed. The Army was little different, officers and their families sat at the top of the ladder. Provided with all possible modern conveniences, including electricity, the officers were quartered in ten large houses facing Mobile Bay. In addition, the Army provided them such diversions as tennis court and an officer’s only bathing area on the beach. Anchoring the western most end of Officer’s Row, the Post Administration Building and Guard House provided the shortest possible walk for officers to the center of post activity.

Of the original structures constructed in officer’s row, only three remain today. Amongst these were the Post Administration Building constructed in 1898, the kitchen section of a Company Officer’s Quarters constructed in 1910, and a Single Set Officer’s Quarters constructed in 1902. The remainder of the structures were lost through a combination of gradual decline,







End of Officer’s Row