Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Salvation Army at Mobile



Marker ID:  
Location: Bienville Square – St Francis St at N Conception St, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 41.548    W 088° 02.589
  30.69246666    -88.04315
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNE48
 



Text:

At the corner of Conception and St. Francis streets, Capt. Edward Justus Parker, Staff Capt. Charles Miles, and a Salvation Army lieutenant conducted an open air meeting on the night of their arrival in March 1887. In contrast to earlier Salvation Army openings in other cities, the mobile audience was polite. Men removed their hats as prayer was offered and those in attendance respectfully participated in singing and dropped coins into the collection plate.

Mobile became an official Salvation Army Corps on October 13, 1899, with Capt. and Mrs. James T. Cumbie in command. The Army's first Corps Community Center in Mobile was located at 213 Conti St., where it remained from the late 1930s to the late 1960s.

The Salvation Army's fight against human suffering -- started in 1863 in London by Gen. William Booth -- is dill helping people to help themselves, though its methods have changed with the times.

Dedicated June 14, 1987 by Commissioner James Osborne,
commander of the Army's Southern Territory.







End of The Salvation Army at Mobile