Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mobile City Limits 1711



Marker ID:  
Location: corner of Government Street and Jackson Street
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 41.373    W 088° 02.634
  30.68955    -88.0439
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNE43
 



Text:

This site marks the southwestern limit of the city of Mobile in 1711. Known then as Port Louis de la Mobile, it had been founded by the French at 27-Mile Bluff in 1702 and moved to its present site in 1711.

Mobile has been a city under Six Flags. The French flag was followed by the English, Spanish, American, Republic of Alabama, Confederate, and again American. This is an unusual record.

Christopher Branch Chapter, Colonial Dames XVII Century







End of Mobile City Limits 1711