Historic Markers Across Alabama



Caldwell School



Marker ID: AAHT 6
Location: at the intersection of North Broad St and Congress St, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 41.562    W 088° 3.418
  30.6927    -88.05696666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Caldwell School


Opened in 1887 as Broad Street Academy, this was the site of Mobile's first public high school for African Americans. The building was razed in 1947, and a new elementary school was constructed and named in recognition of William Caldwell, the first principal of Broad Street Academy. Eventually closing because of changing demographics, the Caldwell School building became part of Bishop State Community College. It was rededicated in 2006 as the Caldwell-Richardson Building to also honor local educator Nathaniel Richardson.


African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile.







End of Caldwell School