Historic Markers Across Alabama



Catholic Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: 710 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 42.508    W 088° 4.527
  30.70846666    -88.07545
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Catholic Cemetery


Opened in 1887 as Broad Street Academy, this was the site of Mobile's first Catholic Cemetery, established in 1848 by Michael Portier, Bishop of Mobile, with purchase of five acres on Stone St., now Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Significant for its circular pattern original section has three concentric rings of graves oriented with feet toward center plot of Daughters of Charity. Annexation of land in 1866 added 15 acres to Old Catholic Cemetery, known for its high style of funerary art, graves of Admiral Raphael Semmes and priest-poet Abram J. Ryan. Original gates (c.1850) to Spring Hill College, also founded by Portier, stand at entrance to section opened in 1948 totaling 150 acres, Site of annual All Souls' Day Mass for Dead since 1929. Listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

Historic Mobile Preservation Society
and the Friends of the Catholic Cemetery. 2009







End of Catholic Cemetery