Historic Markers Across Alabama



Dunbar/Central High School



Marker ID: AAHT 17
Location: 1365 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 42.022    W 088° 3.998
  30.70036666    -88.06663333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Dunbar/Central High School


Dunbar School was built on this site in 1924. Dr. W.A. Caldwell was its first principal. In 1947, the Old Medical College on St. Anthony Street was remodeled and became Central High School. Dr. Benjamin Baker was named principal. In 1955, the schools switched locations when Dunbar Junior High School moved to St. Anthony Street and Central High School was relocated here. Despite segregation, a culturally diverse curriculum evolved exposing students and the community to the arts. The school closed in 1970 as part of the Mobile school desegregation plan. Jonathan T. Gaines was principal. The building is presently part of Bishop State Community College.

African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile.







End of Dunbar/Central High School