Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Martin de Porres Hospital



Marker ID: AAHT 33
Location: 735 South Washington Ave, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 40.359    W 088° 3.124
  30.67265    -88.05206666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Martin de Porres Hospital


Established in 1947 by the Catholic Archdiocese of Mobile for the black community because segregation prevented black doctors from admitting patients to the City Hospital. Present building erected in 1950 and named for St. Martin de Porres, who was born in 1597 in Lima, Peru the son of a Spanish nobleman and a freed black slave. He cared for the sick and many cures were attributed to him. With desegregation in 1971, the hospital closed. In 1976, it became a nursing facility, the Allen Memorial Home, named for Edward Allen, fifth Bishop of Mobile.

the African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile.







End of St. Martin de Porres Hospital