Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Slave Market



Marker ID: AAHT 34
Location: 150 North Royal St, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 41.702    W 088° 2.525
  30.69503333    -88.04208333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Slave Market


After the abolition of international slave trading in 1808, dealers transported slaves from all over the South into Mobile. On this site, Africans were sold as chattel to southern planters through public auction. Between auctions, a three-story holding facility housed the slaves until they were displayed and sold. In an attempt to make this inhumane and abhorrent aspect of slavery less conspicuous, the City banned slave depots from the downtown area. A developing rail system eventually made Montgomery, Alabama, the principal slave market. However, planters who sold cotton in Mobile continued to buy and sell slaves in this City.
The African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile.




Photographs of the marker can be found on HMDB.org







End of The Slave Market