Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church



Marker ID: AAHT 35
Location: 108 North Dearborn St, Mobile, AL
County: Mobile
Coordinates: N 30° 41.478    W 088° 3.082
  30.6913    -88.05136666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church


The church was organized in 1853 by ten African-Americans who were former members of Stone Street Baptist Church. It is the second oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama. The first three pastors were Caucasian; however, following passage of the Thirteenth Amendment in 1865, the church installed its first black pastor, Rev. C.A. Levins. In 1869, the Board of School Commissioners established a school in the church basement "to educate colored children". At the Seventh Session of the Colored Baptist Convention held here in 1874, a resolution passed establishing Alabama's first black theological school later to become Selma University. The present structure was built in 1872, renovated in 1897, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

The African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile.







End of St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church