Historic Markers Across Alabama



Puryearville



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Perryville Road south of County Road 30, Burnt Corn, Alabama
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 31° 32.717    W 087° 11.57
  31.54528333    -87.19283333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Puryearville Methodist Church began as a society near Burnt Corn in 1820 and was located here c. 1830 to c. 1943. Richard C. Puryear deeded 2 acres of land on March 25, 1843 to Isaac Betts, George Watson, William Black, Joel B. Walden and Thomas Pritchett as trustees of the Puryearville Methodist Church and witnessed by R. H. Puryear and Richard Moseley; Hickman Fowler, J. P. The Washington-Monroe Academy and the Masonic Order met here. Early settlers of Monroe and Conecuh Counties who settled along the old Federal Road are buried here in Puryearville cemetery.

Erected 1984 by Alabama Historical Commission along with Mary E. and Imogene Brantley.








End of Puryearville