Historic Markers Across Alabama



Claiborne



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of U.S. 84 and Old Fort Claiborne Road, Perdue Hill, Alabama
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 31° 32.684    W 087° 30.777
  31.54473333    -87.51295
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

During the westward expansion of the United States in the early 1800’s, those whose destination was the new Mississippi Territory took a right fork off the Federal Road which led to the Alabama River ferry at Claiborne. After the land cessions of the Creek Indians in 1814, Claiborne became one of the fastest growing settlements in the old Southwest, attracting a number of Alabama’s early prominent men. Among them were future state governors John Gayle, John Murphy, and Arthur Bagby. Claiborne also was the home of William Barrett Travis, who traveled to Texas and became the hero of the Alamo in 1836.

Sponsored by the J. L. Bedsole Foundation and the Monroe County Heritage Museum.

Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Claiborne