Historic Markers Across Alabama



Indian Springs Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on State Road 21 5 miles north of State Road 47, Beatrice, Alabama
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 31° 47.728    W 087° 5.616
  31.79546666    -87.0936
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This sanctuary was built one mile west of this site about 1825 near springs used by local Indians. The original wood-frame building survived virtually unchanged, with no modern conveniences. An Indian Springs petitionary letter was presented to the Bethlehem Baptist Association, meeting in Monroe County, by L. W. Lindsay and A. Curry on 26 September 1834. The petition was cordially received by the association.

The newly constituted church had 22 charter members and held Sabbath meetings on third Sundays. Baptisms were held in the springs nearby which gave the church its name. For more than a century the modest church was an inspiration as our ancestors brought forth the earth's bounty, worshiped God and led lives of quiet dignity.

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on 26 June 2003.

Erected 2003 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Indian Springs Baptist Church