Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Monroe County Courthouse



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: North Alabama Ave., Monroeville, Alabama
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 31° 31.638    W 087° 19.451
  31.5273    -87.32418333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Old Monroe County Courthouse, designed by prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan, was built between 1903 and 1904 during the tenure of Probate Judge Nicholas Stallworth. One of two buildings of this type designed by Bryan (a sister courthouse in LaGrange, Georgia was destroyed by fire), the architectural style is Romanesque with Georgian influence. It was constructed by Louisville, Kentucky contractor M. T. Lewman. The courthouse was the seat of most county offices and the site for court cases until the construction of the new courthouse in 1963. The lasting fame of this building is derived from the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel To Kill A Mockingbird, as well as the motion picture of the same name which features the now-famous courtroom scene. Today this site is on the National Historic Register and is a national literary Mecca.

Erected 1995 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Old Monroe County Courthouse