Historic Markers Across Alabama



Perdue Hill Industrial School



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on U.S. 84 1 mile west of County Road 1, Perdue Hill, Alabama
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 31° 31.514    W 087° 30.131
  31.52523333    -87.50218333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Perdue Hill Industrial School was founded by Patrick J. Carmichael after he moved to this area in 1918. Carmichael acted as both the principal and teacher during the early years of the school, which was originally a one-room structure serving eleven students. The State of Alabama provided $75 annually towards school operating costs, and students paid a tuition of $.25 each year. When money ran short for the African-American children that the school served, tuition was often paid with chickens or cans of syrup. Over the next forty-six years, Carmichael was instrumental in the growth of the school, which ultimately reached twelve rooms which provided educational space for 250 students and ten teachers. The school closed in 1964, and Carmichael was honored in 1968 by the Alabama State Senate for “outstanding accomplishments and contributions to humankind.”

Erected 1996 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Perdue Hill Industrial School