Historic Markers Across Alabama



Peterman, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Old Peterman Highway north of County Road 30, Peterman, Alabama
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 31° 35.127    W 087° 15.565
  31.58545    -87.25941666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
The first settlers came to this area in 1815, Major Walker built a grist mill and a log structure was built which served as a school and a meeting place for 3 different denominations. Settlers came to clear land and build log cabins - the Bufords, Rikards, Rumbleys, Andresses, Smiths, Biggs, Mosley, Chandler, Deas families were early settlers. Several stores were built on the hill above the present day town - known only as "Buford's", one of the store owners.

In 1900 the Railroad came through and the store owners decided to move their buildings down the hill to be near the railroad tracks. On moving day, with teams of oxen, the 3 or 4 store buildings were moved near the tracks, resumed business and are still in use today (2008). A proper name was now needed for the rail stop and "Peterman" was selected in honor of Mr Addision Peterman,


Side 2:
long-time employee of the railroad and agent at their Repton, AL depot.

Peterman became a thriving community, boasting stores, cotton gins, warehouses, drug stores, doctor's and dentist's offices and a successful farm supplier/fertilizer manufacturer. The depot became the center of interest in Peterman. Meeting the trains to get the daily paper from Montgomery and to see who was arriving or departing was a favorite past time.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Peterman.







End of Peterman, Alabama