Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alabama Governor's Mansion Built 1907



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on South Perry Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.696    W 086° 18.42
  32.3616    -86.307
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDE1Y
 



Text:

Side 1:
For almost the first century of statehood, Alabama's governors lived in private homes or hotels while in office. In 1911 the state acquired the Moses Sable home on South Perry Street for the governor's residence. Lined with fine houses, Perry was regarded as the Fifth Avenue of the Capital City.

In 1950, Gov. Jim Folsom favored buying a Neo-Classical Revival mansion six blocks south. This residence, designed by architect Weatherly Carter in 1907 for Adjutant General Robert Fulwood Ligon, was regarded as Aone of Montgomery's finest homes. A state commission purchased the 17-room residence from the Ligon heirs for $100,000.

Side 2:
Gordon Persons moved into the house at 1142 South Perry on Jan. 15, 1951. John Patterson installed the gates and fences in 1960. George and Lurleen Wallace restored the mansion and made other improvements in the 1970s. Both elected governor, they lived here 14 years.

The families of Jim Folsom, Albert Brewer, Guy Hunt, Jim Folsom Jr., Fob James, Don Siegelman and Bob Riley also lived here during the first 50-plus years the Ligon Mansion served as the executive residence. Many first ladies have made preservation and renewal of the mansion a high priority, including Patsy Riley, who with the Friends of the Mansion, was instrumental in adding the property at 1110 South Perry to the mansion complex.

The Governor's Mansion is recognized as one of the finer examples of Neo-Greco-Roman Classic Revival architecture in Alabama. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Erected by Alabama Historical Commission







End of Alabama Governor's Mansion Built 1907