Historic Markers Across Alabama



Centennial Hill



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.317    W 086° 17.976
  32.37195    -86.2996
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDR7W
 



Text:

This neighborhood evolved around historic First Congregational Church established through the American Missionary Association (AMA) October 6, 1872, by Pastor George Whitfield Andrews. In 1867 the AMA and the Freedmen's Bureau, headed by General Wager Swayne, opened Swayne Primary School, Montgomery's first school for blacks, just two blocks south of here. Alabama State University, begun in 1867 as the "Lincoln School of Marion" by nine ex-slaves and taken over by the AMA in 1868, was relocated nearby in 1887. The area gained prominence as the civic, religious, educational, business and residential center for such black notables as Dr. Cornelius Dorsette, the city's first black physician; businessman Victor Tulane; Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; and other well-known leaders such as Alabama's first black congressman, James W. Rapier; John W. Jones; Nathan Alexander; Peyton Finley; and Reverend G. Franklin Lewis, long-time pastor of First Congregational Church.

Erected 1992







End of Centennial Hill