Historic Markers Across Alabama



Sidney Lanier High School



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: 1756 South Court Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.381    W 086° 18.519
  32.35635    -86.30865
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMF7MZ
 



Text:

Established in 1910 on South McDonough Street, this school was named for the well-known southern poet, Sidney Lanier, who resided in Montgomery 1866-67. This late Gothic Revival building was constructed 1928-29 to consolidate the original Lanier & Montgomery County (Cloverdale) High Schools. The name of the new school was decided by the outcome of the football game between the two schools in the fall of 1929. Frederick Ausfeld was the architect, Algernon Blair the contractor & consultants from Columbia University were called in to ensure that the building incorporated all the latest educational innovations & requirements. The building opened for classes in September 1929 & was dubbed "The Million Dollar School" due to its approximate cost.

Lanier is recognized throughout Alabama & the Southeast as a model for academic excellence & for its tradition of intellectual integrity & scholastic accomplishment.







End of Sidney Lanier High School