Historic Markers Across Alabama



Site of the Warren Reese House



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on South Decatur Street at Scott Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.432    W 086° 18.143
  32.37386666    -86.30238333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNJ66
 



Text:

This was the site of the home of Warren Stone Reese (1842-1898)--planter, cotton merchant, soldier, and mayor of Montgomery.

Reese, promoted to the rank of colonel in the Confederacy for gallantry at Chickamauga, became commander of the Twelfth Alabama Cavalry. He was reputed to have been the youngest colonel in the Army of Tennessee and to have been recommended for Brigadier-General during the closing days of the war.

He served Montgomery as mayor 1885-87 and 1887-89 and during that time was chiefly responsible for raising the funds to erect the Confederate Monument on the Capitol grounds and persuading Jefferson Davis to tour the South in 1886. The world's first electric streetcar also began operations in Montgomery in 1885 during his mayorship.

Reese acquired the Greek Revival house at this site in 1867 from his uncle, Colonel James R. Powell. In 1975 the house was moved to 340 North Hull Street where it was restored and is a part of "Old Alabama Town."

Erected 1993







End of Site of the Warren Reese House