Historic Markers Across Alabama



A County Older Than the State-Montgomery County-1816



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Montgomery County Courthouse at the intersection of South St. Lawrence Street and Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.568    W 086° 18.378
  32.37613333    -86.3063
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD5XX
 



Text:

Created by Mississippi Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Fort Jackson, 1814. Named for Major Lemuel Putnam Montgomery, killed at Horseshoe Bend, 1814, while leading charge on Indian fortifications. During Colonial times many Indians lived in this area which was claimed by Spanish Florida and French Louisiana, British Carolina, Georgia and West Florida, and Spanish West Florida. The City of Montgomery, incorporated 1819 by Alabama Territorial Legislature, was named for Maj. Gen. Richard Montgomery, hero of the American Colonial Army, killed at Quebec in 1775.

Erected 1959 by Alabama Historical Association







End of A County Older Than the State-Montgomery County-1816