Historic Markers Across Alabama



A Nation Divided / Cradle of the Confederacy



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of South Bainbridge Street and Dexter Avenue, Montgomery County
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.644    W 086° 18.087
  32.3774    -86.30145
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKWBA
 



Text:

A Nation Divided


The Alabama State Capitol served as the symbol and meeting place for the government of the newly formed Confederate States of America for 4 months in early 1861. Growing controversy over slavery and states' rights, climaxed by Abraham Lincoln's election as U.S. president in Nov. 1860, prompted the secession of the 7 Southern states, including Alabama, by early Feb. 1861. On Feb. 4, delegates from 6 of these states convened in the Senate Chamber of the Capitol to organize a separate government. In the ensuing weeks, the assembly adopted a Constitution, established governmental departments, and elected a chief executive.


Cradle of the Confederacy


Jefferson Davis of Mississippi was inaugurated as president of the CSA provisional government on the State Capitol portico on Feb. 18, 1861. On Mar. 4, the first national flag of the Confederacy was hoisted over the Capitol itself. While government offices rented nearby quarters, the State Capitol continued to serve as the meeting place for the provisional Confederate Congress. Following the bombardment of Ft. Sumter and Lincoln's call for volunteers, 4 additional states seceded. In May 1861, the capitol was moved to Richmond, VA where it remained until April 1865.


Erected 1996 by Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce / Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation / Alabama Historical Association









End of A Nation Divided / Cradle of the Confederacy