Historic Markers Across Alabama



Antioch Baptist Church - Mount Meigs, Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: On Gibbs RD at Antioch Rd, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.290    W 086° 06.228
  32.35483333    -86.1038
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEVJV
 



Text:

Antioch Baptist Church
Mount Meigs, Alabama


Organized on June 5, 1818, the Antioch Baptist Church at Mt. Meigs was the first church of any denomination established in Montgomery County. Rev. James McLemore was its founder and first pastor. Antioch, like most churches in the county, had both white and black members before the Civil War and Reconstruction era. Antioch was officially incorporated in May of 1911 under a 9-man board of trustees. In 1919, the Antioch congregation built a new church building on land adjoining the Peoples Village School using material from the old church building; it was bricked and rededicated in 1980. In 1989, classrooms and a fellowship hall were added and a larger sanctuary with a capacity for 1,500 worshipers followed in 1999. The public road leading to the church is designated "Antioch Lane" in recognition of the role Antioch has played in the surrounding communities.







End of Antioch Baptist Church - Mount Meigs, Alabama