Historic Markers Across Alabama



Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Wares Ferry Rd, at J D Foshee Rd, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 24.726    W 086° 07.895
  32.4121    -86.13158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHZFW
 



Text:

Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery
Circa 1819


Augusta, home of Old Augusta Cemetery, was built on the site of a former Indian village, "Sawanogi," on high ground close to the Tallapoosa River. In 1824 a disastrous flood swept over the plateau, invading shops and residences. A year later a deadly form of malarial fever took half the population to their graves, killing the town as well. The cemetery, burial place for the Ross, Charles, and Taylor families, continued to be used until the early 20th century. The iron fence surrounding the cemetery formerly was erected around the state Capitol in Montgomery.







End of Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery