Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alabama State University / Tullibody



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: is on South Jackson St. near Tuscaloosa Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.999    W 086° 17.762
  32.36665    -86.29603333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Alabama State University


Founded 1866 as the Abraham Lincoln Normal School in Marion, Alabama by nine former slaves. Operated from 1868 until 1874 by the American Missionary Association. The school began to receive state funding in 1874, making it the first state-assisted normal school and university for blacks in Alabama. Moving from Marion to Montgomery in 1887, the school's classes initially were held in black churches. The institution had several name changes, finally becoming Alabama State University in 1969.


Tullibody


William Burns Paterson (1850-1915) was 17 years old in 1867 when he arrived in New York from Tullibody, Scotland. By 1871, he had built a one-room schoolhouse called Tullibody Academy for Negroes in Greensboro, Alabama. He married the missionary teacher Margaret Flack in 1879. Together, they created a model school of its type. In 1887, the campus moved to Montgomery where the first Tullibody Hall was built in 1890. A brick building replaced the frame structure in 1906. Tullibody Fine Arts Center stands on the site of the earlier building.








End of Alabama State University / Tullibody