Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of St. Jude / The Selma to Montgomery March They Camped Here



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: West Fairview Ave., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.094    W 086° 19.627
  32.35156666    -86.32711666
Waymark: WMJVK2
 



Text:

City of St. Jude


Founded by Father Harold Purcell in the 1930s, the City of St. Jude included church, school, medical facilities, social center and rectory. Its mission was to provide spiritual, educational, social and health services for Montgomery's black citizens. Distinguished for its Romanesque architecture and landscaping, site was designed by architects William Calham and Joseph Maschi. Leading the way in nondiscriminatory health care, the institution helped organize the county's first prenatal care program, school of practical nursing and first drug and alcohol treatment center in the state. In 1953 it provided primary polio treatment. Hospital closed, 1985; church and school continue to serve the community in the spirit as that of its founder.


The Selma to Montgomery March They Camped Here


On March 24,1965, more than 25,000 marchers seeking voter rights and protected by St. Jude Thaddeus, the patron saint of hopeless causes and champion of impossible causes, rested overnight on the grounds. Public facilities were closed to freedom seekers. Father Paul J. Mullaney, director, The City of St. Jude, opened parish facilities for marchers. Joining them were celebrities including Harry Belafonte, Sammy Davis, Jr., Leonard Bernstein, Mahalia Jackson, Shelly Winters and other supporters. The next morning marchers continued on to state capitol to further cause of voter registration.




Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Montgomery Bus Boycott

Wikipedia - Civil rights movement
Borgna Brunner and Elissa Haney - Civil Rights Timeline
Wikipedia - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wikipedia - Rosa Parks
Academy of Achievement - Rosa Park Rosa Parks



End of City of St. Jude / The Selma to Montgomery March They Camped Here