Historic Markers Across Alabama



Civil War-Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: South Perry St., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.260    W 086° 18.532
  32.371    -86.30886666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDD5T
 



Text:

Civil War-Barnes School


In April 1865, the Union Army command made this house its headquarters. Mrs. Pickett hid her silver on an inside ledge of cupola. Later, former Confederate Generals Hood, Bragg, and Walker visited here. In 1906, Professor Elly Barnes bought the house for use as a private school for boys, which rapidly achieved fame for its quality. The Barnes School closed in 1942. In 1996, the house was rescued from demolition with the help of the Alabama Historical Commission and moved to its present location by the Montgomery County Historical Society.


Figh-Pickett House


John P. Figh, a native of Maryland, built this, the oldest surviving brick dwelling in Montgomery, ca 1837, at the corner of Clayton and South Court Streets. Figh was one of the chief contractors for the construction of the Alabama State Capitol. He also served as city alderman. In 1858, Figh sold his house to Alabama's first historian, Albert James Pickett, from North Carolina. Although Pickett died just before moving into the house, his family lived here for more than 50 years.








End of Civil War-Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House