Historic Markers Across Alabama



Confederate Hospital / The Soldiers' Home



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Columbus Street east of North Ripley Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 23.052    W 086° 17.792
  32.3842    -86.29653333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Confederate Hospital


Located in a house on this site on Dr. and Mrs. Carnot Bellinger's farm south of the city of Montgomery. Mrs. Bellinger served as both a nurse and administrator as president of the Soldiers' Home. A "Wayside" hospital, it cared for traveling soldiers and refugees before moving to the city in 1862 to become the "Ladies' Hospital." The present Burton Avenue was the drive to the Bellinger home. In the late 19th century the property became part of Montgomery as "Bellinger Heights" and, in 1904, the Bellinger Hill School was built here. The Soldiers' Home structure was altered as a residence and survived until the 1970's.


The Soldiers' Home


Founded June 1861 by the Ladies' Hospital Association of Montgomery, Sarah Hails Bellinger, with her husband, Dr. Carnot Bellinger, donated the site for the hospital and served as the hospital's first president. The Bellinger farm site included a spacious four-room house for the hospital, one of the first for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. The name "Soldiers' Home" was attached to the hospital after a patient described the facility in a letter to his mother as neither hospital nor asylum but a true "Soldiers' Home." Dr. and Mrs. Bellinger tended the sick here until May 1862, when exhaustion caused them to move the Home to the corner of Bibb and Commerce Streets in town.

Erected 2007 by The Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation Alabama Historical Association.







End of Confederate Hospital / The Soldiers' Home