Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Montgomery / Court Square



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: in the median of Court Square at Commerce Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.646    W 086° 18.554
  32.37743333    -86.30923333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

City of Montgomery


Two small villages, New Philadelphia, founded by Massachusetts lawyer Andrew Dexter in 1817, and East Alabama, established by Georgians led by John Scott in 1818, united in 1819 to form Montgomery, named for Revolutionary hero Gen. Richard Montgomery. Connecting at Court Square, the two towns principal streets were Philadelphia's Market Street (Dexter Avenue) and East Alabama's Main Street (Commerce Street). First courthouse stood to west of artesian well which City enlarged in 1850s. Fountain erected in 1885.

Court Square



Historic hub for business in Montgomery. Exchange Hotel built in 1848 on NW corner of Commerce and Montgomery Streets; rebuilt 1906; demolished 1970s. Cast iron-fronted Central Bank of 1856 on NE corner of square; Winter Building, site of telegraph office in 1861, on SE corner since 1840s. Historic processions passing along Dexter Avenue to the Capitol included Jefferson Davis Inaugural, 2/18/1861; Gen. J. H. Wilson's Cavalry Corps, 4/12/1865; 167th Infantry Regt. Rainbow Division, 5/12/1919; Selma-Montgomery Civil Rights March, 3/25/1965.

Erected 1992 by Alabama Historical Association







End of City of Montgomery / Court Square