Historic Markers Across Alabama



Governor Jones House



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Adams Avenue and South Hull Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.516    W 086° 18.229
  32.37526666    -86.30381666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Thomas Goode Jones, governor of Alabama from 1890-1894, occupied this house during his long political career which took him from the Montgomery City Council to a federal judgeship. During his two terms as governor, his home was the Executive Mansion and later frequently used as a federal courtroom. Originally a four room cottage, the house was enlarged by Jones in the early '90s. His son, the noted jurist Walter B. Jones, continued to live in his family home and inaugurated Jones Law School in a house to the rear. The law firm of Webb and Crumpton restored the house in 1978.

Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Governor Jones House