Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lucas Tavern



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Old Alabama Town, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.961    W 086° 02.516
  32.36601666    -86.04193333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD5M5
 



Text:

Lucas Tavern
Circa 1818


Stood 2800 feet north of this point, just west of Line Creek on the Federal Road. Moved to Montgomery in 1978 to serve as the Visitor and Information Center for the Old North Hull Historic District, it is the oldest remaining building in Montgomery County. Original proprietor, James Abercrombie, ran it from about 1818. Walter B. Lucas announced his take over of the tavern in the January 6, 1821 issue of the Montgomery Republican. A four-room frame building with a long central hall, the tavern's most famous guest was Revolutionary War hero the Marquis de Lafayette who stayed here on April 2, 1825 during his triumphant tour of the United States.








End of Lucas Tavern