Historic Markers Across Alabama



Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce / The Forefront of Montgomery's Future



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Commerce Street south of Bibb Street, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.688    W 086° 18.617
  32.37813333    -86.31028333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDCX8
 



Text:

Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce


The first American Chamber of Commerce was organized in New York City in 1770. The Montgomery Chamber was organized in 1873. Thomas Joseph was its first President. The Alabama State Journal stated at its founding, "Montgomery ought to have a Chamber of Commerce. Located in the midst of one of the richest agricultural districts in the South, the political center of the commonwealth, and the commercial center of a large section which obtain here their supplies, the Chamber of Commerce would seem to be demanded by the necessities of our position." Initially, it occupied the front rooms of the First National Bank Building.


The Forefront of Montgomery's Future


The Chamber changed names several times, but stayed in the lead for solid progress. Initially, it encouraged European immigrants to move south, promoted development of the Alabama River and the railroads, and had Commerce Street paved. It brought the Wright Brother flying school here in 1910 and was key to bringing military bases, the Veterans Hospital, trade schools, educational institutions, industrial parks, and tourism to the area. It is the linchpin of business and community growth partnering with elected and civic leaders to create jobs and a better quality of life for Montgomery area citizens.

Erected 1996 by The Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce / Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation / Alabama Historical Association







End of Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce / The Forefront of Montgomery's Future