Historic Markers Across Alabama



Montgomery Theatre



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of North Perry Street and Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.702    W 086° 18.461
  32.37836666    -86.30768333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDDV7
 



Text:

Opened in Oct. 1860 as the South moved closer to secession, the theatre was significant in the social, cultural and political life of the city. In the early months, John Wilkes Booth performed here, Bryant Minstrels introduced "Dixie," which was transcribed for the Montgomery Brass Band. Southern leaders Robert Toombs, Alexander Stephens and William L. Yancey addressed packed houses. Later the city's location on route between New Orleans and Atlanta brought performers Edwin Forrest, Joseph Jefferson and leading theatrical troupes and opera companies to the stage which closed in 1907.

Erected 1996 by Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce / Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation / Alabama Historical Association.







End of Montgomery Theatre