Historic Markers Across Alabama



Murphy House



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Bibb Street and Coosa Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.792    W 086° 18.57
  32.37986666    -86.3095
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFATY
 



Text:

Greek Revival Home built, 1851
by John H. Murphy, cotton broker and
an incorporator and director of the
Montgomery Water Works Company,
chartered 1854.
Union Army Provost Marshal's
Headquarters 1865.
Elks Club 1902-1967
Restored by Montgomery Water Works
and Sanitary Sewer Board, 1970


Erected 1970 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Murphy House