Historic Markers Across Alabama



Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill / Office Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on South Perry Street south of Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.591    W 086° 18.441
  32.37651666    -86.30735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD5V4
 



Text:

Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill


This early 20th-century building was office of Dr. L.L. Hill who, in 1902, performed first open heart surgery in the Western Hemisphere when he sutured a stab wound in a young boy's heart. A Montgomerian, Hill graduated in medicine from Jefferson Medical College and the University of the City of New York by the time he was 21. He then studied in London with the world renowned Dr. Joseph Lister. Hill practiced from 1884 until 1932, pioneering new ideas in antiseptic procedures in Alabama. He and a brother, Dr. R.S. Hill, founded Laura Hill Hospital named for their mother. L.L. Hill's son, Senator Lister Hill, introduced the Hill-Burton Act providing for hospitals across the nation.


Office Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims
"Father of Modern Gynecology"


On this site in 1840s stood small hospital of Dr. J. Marion Sims in which he made surgical history with his successful operations for urinary fistula in women. A South Carolinian, Sims studied at Charleston Medical School and Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. He practiced briefly in his native state before coming to Mt. Meigs (1835) and Montgomery (1840). He left this city and, in 1853, founded a famous Women's Hospital in New York, gaining world renown for his work in the field of surgery for women. Among his patients were the Empress Eugenie of France and other members of European royalty. His statue is on the grounds of Alabama's Capitol.

Erected 1994 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill / Office Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims