Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Oakwood Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on the left just inside the main gate of the Oakwood Cemetery, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.954    W 086° 17.826
  32.38256666    -86.2971
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD8XT
 



Text:

Side 1:
The city cemetery was begun by donations of land from Andrew Dexter in 1817 and from General John Scott in 1818. Dexter and Scott had founded separate villages which combined to form Montgomery in 1819. The early part of the graveyard was known as Scott's Free Burying Ground. The cemetery was open to all of Montgomery's people. Many of the soldiers and prominent statesmen who shaped our history as well as ordinary citizens, hanged felons, and unknowns rest in Old Oakwood. Nearly 140 acres in size, the cemetery has no more lots for sale.


Side 2:
Oakwood Cemetery, consisting of Scott's Free Burying Ground, Plats 1,2,3, and 4, and the old Catholic and Jewish cemeteries, is filled with the history of this City, State, and area. Those who pioneered the wilderness, made the early decisions, formed our government, promulgated our laws, bore our arms when necessary, and experienced the hardships and successes of our growth rest here. Having passed the torch of progress to us, many of those who were a living and integral part of our history and heritage have at last found safe harbor in Old Oakwood.

Erected by Alabama Historical Association Sponsored by the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce.








End of Old Oakwood Cemetery