Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Co. Rd. 24, Pintlala, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 10.567    W 086° 22.177
  32.17611666    -86.36961666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME3KG
 



Text:

Pintlala Grange Hall


The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa 1875 on land adjacent to this marker. By the 1890s the popularity of the Grange began to wane. On July 21-23, 1891 the last meeting of the Alabama Granges took place in Pintlala. The Federal Land Bank was organized as the National Farm Loan Association of Pintlala on August 17, 1917. Grange Hall was the site of their regular meetings.


Grange Hall School


From circa 1880 to 1922 school was held in one room of Grange Hall for seven months a year. Pintlala School was built and opened in 1923 and the Board of Education purchased the Grange property. The building was used for home economics classes and, from 1931 to 1952, served as home for Pintlala School caretakers. Over the years it was site of community dances, a meeting place for Boy and Girl Scouts, and the Pintlala Baptist Church (1960). Vacant and deteriorating, the building was given to the Landmarks Foundation and moved in 1978 to Old Alabama Town, Montgomery, Alabama.








End of Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School