Historic Markers Across Alabama



Saint John's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Madison Avenue and North Perry Street, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.796    W 086° 18.447
  32.37993333    -86.30745
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. John's Episcopal Church
Organized 1834



Present building erected 1855 under rectorship of Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, first Bishop of Alabama. Primary convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States of America was held here, July 3-6, 1861.

Charles Minnegerode Beckwith, fourth Bishop of Alabama, consecrated here, December 17, 1902.

Erected 1973 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Saint John's Episcopal Church