Historic Markers Across Alabama



South Jackson Street / Victor Hugo Tulane



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: South Jackson St., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.331    W 086° 17.784
  32.37218333    -86.2964
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD31V
 



Text:

South Jackson Street


Long a home to African-American professionals, politicians, and businessmen, South Jackson Street is in the heart of Centennial Hill, a neighborhood which developed in the 1870s. One block north at #309 is the house where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. lived during the Bus Boycott; #341 was the home of John W. Jones, Lowndes County senator in the Reconstruction legislature. Building on NE corner is former Ben Moore Hotel, site of many Civil Rights meetings and activities. Alabama State University at south end of street.


Victor Hugo Tulane


Almost penniless, Tulane came from Elmore County in 1880s, opening a grocery store on SE corner of High and Ripley in 1905 (National Register of Historic Places). While living at 430 South Union, he was cashier at the African-American-owned Penny Savings Bank, as well as a druggist. Served as Chairman of the Board of Old Ship AME Zion Church, member of Board of Trustees of Tuskegee Institute and of Swayne School, and first African-American honorary member of the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce. Died 1931: city honored business leader by naming Victor Tulane Court in his memory, 1951.








End of South Jackson Street / Victor Hugo Tulane