Historic Markers Across Alabama



Taylor Field



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: West Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Montgomery's first military flying installation was established 200 yards south of this spot in November of 1917. The facility was named for Captain Ralph L. Taylor, who was killed in an airplane crash at Mineola Field, New York in August of 1917. The primary flying school here included 16 hangers, repair shops, warehouses, quarters, a hospital, and nearly 200 JN-4 and DH-4 aircraft on its 800 acres. One hundred and thirty-nine fledgling pilots completed the eight-week course and some served in France during the First World War. Taylor Field closed in April of 1919 and reopened as Gunter Auxiliary Air Field No. 5 during World War II. It was closed again in July of 1946.

Erected by the Montgomery Chapter of the Air Force Association and Founders Flight, Order of Daedalians.







End of Taylor Field