Historic Markers Across Alabama



Teague House



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: High St. at Perry St., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.324    W 086° 18.44
  32.37206666    -86.30733333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDFQJ
 



Text:

Greek Revival Architecture-built in 1848 by Berry Owens. On April 11, 1865, Federal Troops, known as "Wilson's Raiders," approached the city. Lacking means of defense, city officials agreed to surrender the city. From the front portico of this house was read the order of Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, placing the first Capital of the Confederacy under martial law on April 12, 1865. This house, typical of many homes of the period, was home successively of the Owens, Ware, Walker, Graham, and Teague families. Since 1955 it has served as headquarters of the Alabama State Chamber of Commerce and is open to the public.



Notes:

The Teague House is now the home of the Alabama Historical Commission.



End of Teague House