Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Federal Road



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: intersection of Cloverfield Road & Federal Rd., Pintlala, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 10.592    W 086° 23.210
  32.17653333    -86.38683333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK1Y8
 



Text:

The 1803 Louisiana Purchase acquired 828,000 sq. mi. for the U.S., doubling its size. The Federal Road was built to provide a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new territory. The Treaty of 1805 with the Creeks authorized traversing their lands. Entering Alabama at Ft. Mitchell near Columbus, GA, it came through Mt. Meigs, to Pintlala, Ft. Deposit, Burnt Corn, Ft. Stoddert, then Mobile. The 1814 Treaty of Ft. Jackson made much fertile Creek land available to grow cotton; this lure, "Alabama Fever," drew many thousands of settlers to central Alabama. In 1860, spans were still in use, but the Road was gone.
Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation & the Alabama Historical Association.



Notes:

More Information:
Encyclopedia of Alabamay - Federal Road in Alabama




End of The Federal Road