Historic Markers Across Alabama



Winter Building



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Dexter Avenue at Court Square, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.636    W 086° 18.530
  32.37726666    -86.30883333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3FTV
 



Text:

Built in 1841 by John Gindrat to house the Montgomery branch of the Bank of St. Mary's. In 1854 was willed to his daughter, Mary Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Winter.

On April 11, 1861, Confederate Secretary of War Leroy Pope Walker sent telegram from second floor offices of Southern Telegraph Company to Charleston authorizing Confederate General P. G. T. Beauregard to fire on Fort Sumter. Subsequent bombardment was first military action of War Between the States.

Building placed on National Register of Historic Places 1972, and restored in 1978.







End of Winter Building